Saturday, April 21, 2012

Italia! Part 1 1/2: Roma and Venezia!

+ For our last day in Rome, we hit up the Vatican, which was amazing. First was St. Peter's Basilica and I could've spent all bloody day in there, so absolutely gorgeous was it. And then we made our way through the insane tourist crowds to the Sistine Chapel. Oh, my. It wasn't the same as my reaction to the Hagia Sophia, but oh, was it so very, very amazing to see. Another moment I was keenly aware that I was standing inside history.

Though, I must admit to a little bit of, hmm, blasphemy? Because whilst standing in the Sistine Chapel, looking up at the beautiful art in the hushed silence, I started to think of this Eddie Izzard clip and nearly burst out giggling: "Michaelangelo, a painter and a decorator. And when the Pope said, (Italian accent) "Michaelangelo, I want you to paint the Sistine Chapel." He said, (working class accent) "Yeah, no problem. I'll use these rollers, I'll do it in beige… uh, stipple effect you know, and two days we'll be sorted." "No, you get me wrong. I want a picture with the Holy Father, the Jesus Christ and lots of little fat kids with wings."

Trust me, it's very funny.

+
Anyway, we ended up chilling in the courtyard at the Vatican Museum for a couple hours and then wandering back to Flaminio via the bridge by Castel San Angelo and up next to the river. A very nice walk.

+ Then to the bus we took from the airport, but this time going to Fiumancio Airport, rather than Ciampinio, so it was a longer journey and we were cutting it very, very close. Bella didn't seem to care, but I was biting my nails the whole time.

Apparently, and this might shock you all, I am a worrier. I like leaving plenty of time and I like knowing what I'm doing and I like having a contingency plan in case something goes wrong. I guess I'm more like my father (the planner) and my grandmother (the worry-wart) than I knew. :P

But of course, we made it just on time and we were fine and we touched down in Venezia around 10-ish. Bus to Piazzle Roma (I like that in Rome it was Piazza Venezia and in Venice it was Piazzale Roma; we couldn't escape the other while we were in each.) and then waterbus (boat!) down to our stop (Zitelle) and our hostel.

We slept deeply that night, if not well because of the many high school groups in the rooms who were very excitable indeed.

Next up: Venezia!

No comments:

Post a Comment