Sunday, June 3, 2012

God Save the Queen!*

Happy Jubilee Weekend! It's the Queen's Diamond Jubilee weekend, and it is a very English day for such an occasion. Grey and rainy and hopefully it'll lighten up before this afternoon for the festivities.

What festivities, you ask? Well, quite a few! I'm only doing one today, though, and that's assuming I can find a place to stand. The Queen's flotilla starts at Battersea Bridge at 2.00 and heads up the Thames to either London Bridge or Tower Bridge, I can't remember. Mrs. H said I should take the District line from Wimbledon and go to Putney, where it starts, and then follow it along the river...but it's not looking like such a good day for that.

My plan, inasmuch as one can call it a plan, is to go in around noon and pick up something for lunch then wait at the Embankment, near the Eye, to watch it go by. I'm a little worried, because the South Bank is completely swamped on a good weekend and this should be intense. But where else should I go? This is my countdown, my goodbye to my city, and where better to feel like London than in the thick of it!

I have tea to fortify me (sadly lacking in milk...) and an umbrella (a nice black one, like a proper Londoner) and a tacky London shirt and my top hat. Let the festivities commence!


Thank you, Primark! 6 pounds for this shiny, sequiny shirt of London





* Your choice: the anthem or the Sex Pistols version

No comments:

Post a Comment