Friday, June 8, 2012

"I belong to London. And London belongs to me."*

Nope, actually, today was my goodbye to London. And my goodbye to Bella. And my goodbye to, well, everything.

I met up with Bella at The King's Tun for lunch...with her sister in tow. The two of them are staying in London for a week and then traveling Europe together. I'm so jealous! Her sister is very nice and the three of us had a very nice, leisurely lunch. I even managed to hug and leave Bella without crying! Which is surprising, since she became my best friend here, and I hope to stay friends for a long while. She keeps saying I should go visit her in California (where she lives) or Oregon (where she goes to school), so maybe...who knows...

It was weird leaving Bella, because I felt a bit disconnected. I wasn't super sad and I didn't start to cry and I didn't have the feeling that I was leaving her behind. We were just parting.

It actually didn't hit me until I was walking through Waterloo to get to my train back to Berrylands that I'm leaving. Like, on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again. It's been in my head, I've been packing, I've been sad that I'm leaving, but I hadn't actually thought, "Crap, I'm leaving," until tonight.

Holding back tears on the train as it pulled out of Waterloo aside, it was a nice farewell to London. This morning, I made a reservation at The Criterion Restaurant for dinner, because I wanted to and because I'd already been to all my favorite pubs in the past week and where better for a goodbye dinner than a very famous and very swanky place? And it is, indeed, very swanky. So I dressed accordingly and tried to act accordingly, but I think I failed at being a real lady, even though I looked the part. (I surprised myself with how grown-up I looked, in my little black dress and heels, "pearl" studs and hair swept back in a low ponytail. I looked good. And adult.)

A delicious, English-y dinner: beef pie (but ~fancy~) and a glass of rose (oh, I felt so special ordering a glass of wine by myself!), with Eton Mess and a pot of Earl Gray for dessert. I felt a little out of place amongst all the couples and families and I think I may have weirded people out with my people-watching, but I like having dinner alone. I get to think and observe and eat good food.

After that yummy ending, I walked back down through my route: from Piccadilly Circus (where Criterion is), down Haymarket, over to Trafalgar Square and through it, down Northumberland Avenue, over the bridge there, down the South Bank to my favorite spot, squished between the Eye and Westminster Bridge, with a view of Parliament.  I actually ended up in the pub right there, too, with a half pint of Strongbow as I sat out in the cold and watched my city wrap up its evening and prepare for Friday night.

Just as I was writing this, the two girls in the house came to say goodbye and I got hugs from them and I love it. They are so sweet. Lydia, the older one, always has a lot to say and Alice is positively adorable and I really wish the best for them. For this whole family, really. They've been absolutely lovely these past few months and while I'm thinking about it, I should go write a letter to leave for them in the morning.

I might blog when I get up at 5.00 am (UGH), but most likely, you won't be hearing from me until I'm safely ensconced at home in NY.

Goodbye, England. Goodbye, London. Goodbye, Hemmingtons. Farewell, farewell, farewell. 


* From the book London Belongs to Me, by Norman Collins. Good book. Best quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment