Saturday, August 3, 2013

As last days go, yesterday was fairly eventful.

Re the dig: I pulled the wood from my burial, uncovered more bone than was previously thought, had to do a burial record, and then managed to pull all visible bone and the little bit of wood under said bone--and I didn't slip once!

Afterwards, the local archaeologist we've been working with (not Andre, but the one who works around here permanently) and his girlfriend and another local we know came to say goodbye, so of course, we pulled out all the stops. (I mean, we were pulling out all the stops anyway, as it was the last night). The hotel staff gave us some berry palinka as a gift (we gave the lady flowers and the couple a card thanking them for everything) but, much as I loved our hosts, the berry palinka does taste like grape cough medicine. Don't worry, that's not the one I'm bringing home a litre of. The one we paid for and dispensed into water bottles last night was made by the local archaeologist's parents and is so much worse than grape cough medicine. 

All in all, yesterday was a celebration and very bittersweet. At least one person is already gone, flying off to Paris for a few days and then home. A lot of us are taking the train to Sighisoara today, wandering around Sighisoara and then taking the later trains back to Budapest. Still others are going by way of Cluj-Napoca or Sibiu. Which means that I'll be with a few people in Budapest, but not everyone, and I don't want to say goodbye. I don't like saying goodbye. It's no fun. 

However, on that note, I should probably go make the rounds. Perhaps you'll hear from me as we wait for our train, but if not, I'll see you on the flip side in Budapest! 

Au revoir, Transylvania! Köszönöm for a wonderful 5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment