Thursday, August 1, 2013

In true Victoria fashion, and perhaps making up for the unique 5 week period where nothing physical happened to me against my will, I managed to fall not once but twice out on the site today. I knew it was coming; there was no way I was getting out of Transylvania scot free. Don't worry, I'm fine and the bones are fine, but it gave people quite a scare. The second time, though, I managed to catch myself on the edge of the pit and the ledge of the church wall just inside it, which was rather impressive, if I do say so myself.

Yesterday was an experience all its own. We had a half day of work and then met up with some local people from the town we're digging in for some socialization. We headed up to the church, which is a copy of the church we're working in and was moved up the hill in the late 1700s/early 1800s. That was very cool, because it gave me some visual context to work with. For example, our trench is working near the altar and pulpit, which is one of the circular ones usually up higher than the rest. My burial is probably the closest to the altar, which is particularly interesting.

After the church tour, we headed down to the local museum where we were served palinka and 'cake' (which was flat bread with various sugar toppings), as well as beer. I hadn't had much food and wasn't feeling particularly keen on moonshine, so I stayed away from the palinka, and that was a wise choice. Two shots had most of the crew on their butts, napping in the sunshine. I stuck with Harghita (beer) and the cake-bread.

To top off a wonderful day, we took a walk through the town, exploring the residential areas and the graveyard. One of my favorite things about Transylvanian graveyards is that they are often (if not always) up on a high hill, away from the center of town. This means that graveyards offer some of the best and most beautiful views of the surrounding countryside and mountains.

Tomorrow is our very last day and I am hoping it's better than today. Today wasn't bad, it just really wasn't my day. And I'd really like to finish my pit, which means I have to work fast, but careful and thorough. So tomorrow will be a test of my abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment