Saturday, May 26, 2012

Baby don't rush, you're no waterfall. Love me, that is all.*

Sunshine, shopping and jazz is the perfect combination for a lovely Saturday.

Tomorrow, however, starts my very first trip all by myself. I mean, I came over here by myself, but I was met at the airport and I've always gone with or met up with someone in other countries. But this time, I planned it all by myself and I get to find my way all alone. It's just England and the maps are very good, but still, it's a little nerve-wracking.

Nerve-wracking and exciting. I leave from King's Cross Station tomorrow at 12.30 and arrive in Pickering, up north, after one change onto a bus, at 4.08. From there, I find my way to my hotel, check in, and go explore Pickering for a little while. Then on Monday, I get to take a steam train on the edges of the North Yorkshire Moors park and wander around various towns, then spend the evening in Whitby. On Tuesday, I leave Whitby at 12.41 and after two changes to other trains, I arrive back in King's Cross at nearly 6. It's a small trip, with most of my time spent on various vehicles, but I'm very excited. I get to go exploring on my own! I get to go up to the Moors, the site of many a novel I've read and loved, from The Secret Garden (which first opened my eyes to the various English dialects) to Wuthering Heights ("Cathy, I am Heathcliff!")!

This should be fun. I'll be bringing my laptop, but may not update until I get back.


* Love Me Like a River Does, Melody Gardot. Today has been a jazz sort of day, and so, Melody, whose new album comes out in a couple days. I absolutely recommend her; her ballads (like this one) are gorgeous, but I prefer some of her faster/bluesier stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment