Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Is hail normal for England in the springtime?

So, today did not go as I planned it a couple days ago.

Bella and I were all set to meet up and maybe go to Hampton Court, to talk about the remainder of our time here and just generally hang out. Just as I went for a shower last night, I get a text. "Want to go see the Queen tomorrow?" Say what? "The Queen is gonna be at Richmond Park tomorrow at 2.30."  So we decided that yes, we did want to see the Queen.

This morning, I handed in my Shakespeare essay, returned the books to the library, and topped up my mobile, and I was still early. So I hung about watching a crazy violinist busker, who reminded me of my friend Caleb from high school, until she showed up. We went to get food and I texted Melissa (family friend who's now in London for a little while) that I was going to be in her neck of the woods. We made tentative plans to meet at the carousel (I didn't know where that would be, but sure, let's say the carousel).

Bella and I took the bus to Richmond (oh, adorable! So very stereotypically English) and got off right across from a super-cute-looking pub called the Fox and Duck, which had a string of tiny Union Jacks all across the front. For those unaware, this year is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee--60 years of reigning for QE2. 3 June there will be a flotilla up the river and I'm hoping to head into Kingston to see it and fun stuff is happening all over the place. It's really just an excuse to get together and party. (I've seen a fair few "street party" signs; there's one happening at The Berry, which I might go to)

Anyway, we find the entrance and follow a whole bunch of people who have Union Jack wellies and raincoats and generally seem to be people also going to see the Queen. And as we're walking up the hill--it starts to rain. And then hail. And the path is muddy and I'm trying to balance my brolly in the wind as well as myself in the mud. It sounds awful, but it was actually quite fun.

So we get to the top of the hill and there's a large group of people and a couple policemen. We assume this is the place, but then the bobbies (ha, finally I get to say that!) say this is the queue for the buses to take us down to the actual site. So we keep walking. The rain lessens as we arrive at the center of everything, where three things happen: a guy passing says we've just missed the Queen; Melissa and I find each other; and we learn there's going to be a ballet performance and the Queen will be in attendance.

So we wander through the crowd--a carousel, lots of booths, lots of activities, apparently this was a big deal and I don't even know what it was for, quite honestly. I think Bella said it was a celebration-thing of all the Royal Parks and Richmond is the biggest.--and make our way to the main stage. I'm short and so I can barely see the stage itself and I certainly can't see all the royalty as they make their way to the front of the crowd. I caught a glimpse of Princess Alexandra (I think?) and there were lots of photos taken by Bella and Melissa, both of whom are taller than I. Then finally, the Queen walks by to loads of cheers, and I saw her head!

Just as we were debating what we were to do, the Royal Ballet School starts in on the peasant dance from Swan Lake. I'm terribly excited and even though I can't see all that much, it was still lovely!

As they finish and ballet-run off the stage, it starts to rain. And hail. And blow like a hurricane. Somehow, we make it to the bus queue without any major damage. And then the attendant says that after the one coach leaves, they're shutting this road down, so to go this one way. We decide to go back the way we came, all three of us, on the road their shutting down.

When we get to an intersection in the middle, we learn the reason they've shut the road down: the royal train is coming this way! So we get in line, standing at the edge of the road, cameras in one hand and umbrellas in the other. I didn't manage to get a good picture of the Queen; I got a picture of the front of her Range Rover and the next car that went by. But as I looked up after taking the first picture, the Queen was waving at us! And I totally made eye contact!

I've never really had much interest in the Royal Family; they're royalty and that's cool, but I didn't get up at 5 am to watch Will & Kate's wedding or anything. But it was so cool!

So yeah, that was awesome. Next on the agenda is heading to Crowthorne tomorrow, and dragging Bella with me. Last semester, I started writing a story (I always seem to be starting stories...) and went researching towns close enough to London to justify putting it in the story and also just a cool place to set the scene. I landed on Crowthorne, which has the Broadmoor Psychiatric Hospital, where part of my story is taking place. I just started writing it again, and I figured, I'm here, why not go see it? It's only an hour and a half away, I think, so that should be good. I get to take the train, see a cute little English town, probably hit up a pub and stand outside Broadmoor, then go home. I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment