Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hail the conquering heroine comes!

Or, my return to this blog (about a year after my return home)

Probably most people who will be reading this know the details of my life, but a little background in case some poor unfortunate happens to stumble across this blog:

I have just graduated college with an undergraduate degree in anthropology. No, I have no idea quite what I'm going to do with it (though at the time of this writing, I am taking the Foreign Service Officer test in a few days). And yes, I'm more cultural and linguistic than archaeology or biology--but in a couple weeks, I am embarking on an archaeological field school in Transylvania! I will be digging up bodies in a medieval funerary site, about an 1.5 hours away from Vlad the Impaler/Dracula's birthplace, and I am very, very excited.

I'm still unsure on what the wifi/blogging time situation will be like, or whether or not I'll be using this as a place for field notes or travel notes (probably a little of both), but I will be here and writing for those who wish to read about my adventures.

Originally, I wanted the shiny new title of this blog to be: My Dear and Unfortunate Successor, but after some thinking, it seemed way too creepy. It's merely a recurring quote from one of my very favorite books, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. The 650-page-long novel features a few of my favorite things: anthropology, three interwoven narratives that take place across different times and places, travels through Turkey, Hungary, and Romania (in which Transylvania is a region in), and Dracula/vampires. It's long and sometimes arduous, but I highly recommend it if you need something to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment