Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I really love sitting in airports, don't you?

I don't, actually. That was sarcasm. 

I'm currently still sat in Albany airport. My first plane has been delayed about an hour and a half. Luckily, I have (well, had) a three hour layover in Toronto before I head to Frankfurt. 

I've spent a lot of time this summer just sitting in airports, biting my nails and getting nervous for connections and such. It's not the most enjoyable time to be had. 

So instead, I'm on the internet and I'm reading Neil Gaiman's new book and I'm snacking and hydrating (so I don't almost vomit on the plane this time), and I'm not actually worried or too annoyed or too antsy. I'm just chilling and it's a really nice alternative to getting all irritable and anxious. 

There's a London poster on the wall, an ad for US Airways. It's nighttime on the Thames, with a light along the Southbank in the foreground and Parliament in the background, illuminated against the dark grey sky. It's beautiful. And it's reminding me why I'm here. 

I want to see Budapest from the bridge*. I want to see St. Stephen's Basilica and the library and walk along the Danube just as I was lucky enough to walk along the Thames. 

I was nervous and sad this morning, and it got worse as the day went on. (It was especially bad after I made it through security and waved my parents goodbye.) Danes calls my mood 'nervcited,' which is exactly what it says on the tin. But right now, at the time of this writing, I am calm and excited and raring to go. Let's do this. 


* Szechenyi Chain Bridge. "As we turned onto the bridge, the full evening light, reflected off the Danube, flooded the whole scene, so that the exquisite mass of the castle and churches in Buda, where we were headed, was thrown into gold-and-brown relief. The bridge itself was an elegant monolith, guarded at each end by lions couchants and supporting two huge triumphant arches." (pg 315, The Historian)

No comments:

Post a Comment