Monday, June 17, 2013

Ladies and gents, start your engines

It's that time again: t minus 9 days!

Now that my list of stuff has been ticked off (get all gradumacated, check; go visit Katie, check; take the FSO, check), I'm focusing everything on Romania and I'm getting really excited. And really nervous. 

Kingston was a huge step for me. Taking time to go with people to Istanbul, and with Bella around Italy, was a giant piece in the what-do-I-do-when-? puzzle. But, excepting Istanbul, the places I've been have felt really...safe. England is England. The UK at large is a comfy-cozy place. Rome and Venice are touristy places. 

But Hungary? Romania? Transylvania? These are places I've read about and daydreamed about, but never really grasped. I could feel London through the pages in books. I could taste Venice through cookbooks and travel memoirs. But I don't know Romania. 

Not to mention the fact that I'm not even there yet and already I feel like a fraud. I do sociolinguistics work and I write papers and I read ethnographies; I don't know that much about archaeology as a whole. I liked being a dirt monkey. I liked listening to the winding stories that function as far-fetched explanations. I loved shaking hands through history. Being the first person in a couple hundred years to touch this musket ball, to roll it around in your palm, heavy and smooth and solid enough to wound; being the first to smooth your fingers over a piece of window glass or a nail, feeling the construction of the fort through your fingertips--that is a fantastic feeling. But I don't know archaeology theory; I don't know much about the area. All I know about Vlad Ţepeș comes from poring over The Historian since I was 14.

And then I remember, this is a field school. I am paying these guys (D. describes A. as the quintessential Romanian archaeologist--all the stereotypes are true) to teach me the ways of archaeology. Let the learning commence!

But first, have some Anthropology Major Fox that is hilarious in its accuracy


No comments:

Post a Comment