Friday, June 28, 2013

Reach up and touch the skyyy*

Alternate title: Isn't it midnight on the other side of the world, because now that FMac song is stuck in my head courtesy of a message from mama


'Ello 'ello 'ello!

Sleep does wonders for the sick stomach/crying/generally miserable feeling. I haven't had breakfast yet (10.17 am), for a couple reasons, but after this, I am off exploring and the nice man behind the desk said there are a couple good cafes just down the road.

After flipping around Hungarian tv for a little while (things of interest: lots of music channels [American music videos and some weird male Hungarian pop star]; CNN and a sport channel in English; lots of Hungarian dramas; a Hungarian dub of Bones and of Bridget Jones' Diary, which was obviously quite interesting), I finally fell asleep a little before 10 pm my time...and promptly woke up 2 hours later. My body still hasn't adjusted to all the time and sleep differences that just happened. Some more tv surfing, restless iPod listening, and listless crying later, and I finally got back to sleep around 2 am.

I set my alarm for 8.30 and arose around 9, thinking I was in enough time for breakfast (7.30-10). So I go downstairs and the nice man tells me two things: one, my luggage has arrived (hooray!!) and two, there's no breakfast because I was the only one signed up for it this morning and the lady who makes the breakfasts decided not to show up. He gave me a free cappuccino and some directions/advice on where to go today.

So, positives: I had a free cappuccino, I am currently breaking in my work boots for the dig, and it's a London type of day, weather-wise. And I am in Budapest!

And now, I promised to show you my swanky room and so:

You walk in the door and there's this little antechamber, and then you round the corner and see this









Pretty nice, right?

And now I am off to grab some breakfast and wander down to the city center, which looks like a long ways on the map but the nice man says is about a half hour walk. 

*Yes, the nice man at the hotel is playing Nicki Minaj's Starships. Sometimes it's Hungarian pop/rock music, sometimes it's Hungarian talk radio, but it's often American pop music. Love it.




No comments:

Post a Comment