Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What an adventure!

I've had an interesting day and it's not even half three as I type this. (Oops, now it's gone four. But still. My point is, I've had an interesting 20 hours.)

Last night, after my happy settling in post, I had a breakdown in the shower, skyped with my mum, and then had a bit of a panic because thought I'd lost my passport and extra money. I misplaced it and had the entire family tearing the house apart looking for it and--it was in the back zippered pocket of the bag, in a place where I never put anything, ever. Once I had calmed down, honestly my brain was torn between, "I'm a moron" and "This is really not the impression I was hoping to make." Luckily, they still seem to like me.

This morning was okay. Had a morning tea and cereal and caught the bus to campus. This is particularly exciting for me as, where I come from, I'd never really used public transport. We've always had a car available and at 'seo, well, I dislike using the bus. Not sure why I like it better here than there. Mostly because the bus here is needed to get to where I need to go, whereas at school, I can't be bothered to go up to Weggies and Walmart on my own when we go every week in one of my housemates' cars. Meh.

BUT, here. Well. Let's just say that after today, I am very comfortable with using the bus. (And I've just applied for an Oyster card because, after today, I need it.) All because I needed to pop back home to get my passport for enrollment.

It all started when I took the wrong bus. Got a bus tour around Kingston, though, which was nice. Ended up at Kingston Hospital, took another bus back, got off at Surbiton Station. I don't have a map of my area (bad plan, V. Bad planning.), but a tiny map of the Berrylands, which is actually where my house is. I decided, hey, I've got a few hours, let's just pick a direction and start walking. I'm bound to find it eventually and if not, well, at least I'll get a nice tour of the area.

Yeah, and hour and a half long tour of Surbiton and a couple places that were either SurbitonANDKingston or neither. Well, I was on the right track when I decided to ask a nice man for some help. I'm confident I would've found it eventually, because I was literally standing at the street I needed to go down to turn down another street to get to the street that would lead to a street that led directly to my house, but he was very nice indeed and gave me nice, you're a lost tourist, aren't you directions.

So, after wandering around my adorable little English suburb (I found the local pub, yay!), I finally get home. And then I had to go back to campus to finish enrolling. And so I took the bus both ways.

My father challenged me before I left. "Do at least one new thing every day," he said. So, dad, does wandering around Kingston, Surbiton, and Berrylands count as three separate things or only one new thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment