Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hey hi hello!

I've recently received a demand for more blogging. Sorry for the radio silence, but I've had quite a week. Blogging services will return to normal for a little while, though my parents arrive this week and break starts in late March, which means more travel!

The short version of my story goes like this:

Tuesday:
+ Westminster Abbey
+ Mexican food for lunch--and real Mexican food at that!
+ British Museum
+ The Berry, the Berrylands pub, for dinner, where we watched the Liverpool-Everton match. It was a good one to watch, the most notable part being the amazing hat trick--three goals.

Wednesday:
+ a late start and a lazy day. After the whirlwind that was Monday and Tuesday, Danes needed to rest his legs and we wanted to relax.
+ into Surbiton to eat at the Duke of York
+ then back to watch telly and laze about.

Thursday:
+ 9-12 was class, in which Ian pulled me aside and praised me for being the only one to understand his 40s/jazz references. Apparently he's playing a gig in London with a Peggy Lee band this week? It sounds awesome, but I don't think I'll be able to go, especially because he said he couldn't get me tickets when I cheekily asked.
+ Danes and I were lazy today, too. It was nice to just be with him, lying in his arms, talking about everything and nothing, watching telly, reading together, in the same space though we were in separate worlds. It was lovely to have him back. A week was too short.

Friday:
+ Lunch at The Berry, again. Danes had a beer called Luperc Alia, which I got a kick out of. I had my usual cider.
+ Went to Tower Hill for pictures of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge
+ Then got out to Greenwich (NOT pronounced like the town where one may find the Ice Cream Man. Gren-itch.) to see the Prime Meridian, which was something Danes really, really wanted to see. I was initially not as keen, until we got there. It was really exciting, actually.

Saturday:
+ up at 5.30, on the bus by 6.30, at Heathrow by 8.00-ish. Coffee and breakfast and lounging with Danes before we went through security.
+ We had a tearful goodbye (well, tears on my part, because I'm me) as I went first.
+ I arrived in Edinburgh around the same time he was set to leave for home.
+ Found my hostel with relative ease and met up with Julianna at the Haymarket Restaurant!
+ We then explored and made it up to Edinburgh Castle!
+ And then wandered up and down the Royal Mile High Street.
+ By this point, it was dinnertime, so we found a pub/restaurant and, since it was St Patrick's Day, we had lamb shank pie. Mmm, so good! No, I did not have a Guiness (we didn't drink at dinner; we figured we'd hydrate instead), but I did try haggis. Yes, you read that right. I tried haggis. I made a face the whole time, but I tried it and didn't plug my nose or anything! It was actually decent. (Until I remembered what it was, of course.)
+ After dinner, it was dark and since we wanted a drink (well, I wanted a drink, since it's the first St Patty's Day I've actually been able to drink during), we figured it was a good idea to head back to the part of town where our hostels were. It's a bad idea to get lost in a new city, an even worse one to get lost whilst drunk when everyone else is further gone than you.
+ Conveniently, Jules' hostel was right next to a pub, so we hung out for a while and talked. If I loved having Danes back with me and rediscovering the reasons I love him, I love my relationship with Jules in much the same way. We can go for months without seeing each other, barely even talking, and when we get together, it's like we never left. It was nice.
+ I was at the hostel and in bed by 11, passed out by 11.30, even with people I didn't know coming in and out of the room. I was just so knackered.

Today:
+ Up earlier than my alarm was set to go off, I was ready to go by 9.00. Check out was by 10.30, but I was out of there by 9.15
+ Found a place to have breakfast, Mercat, which was yummy! Coffee (real, basic coffee, not a latte or mocha, but just plain coffee) and a hard breakfast roll. I don't really know how to explain it, but it was absolutely massive. It was legitimately a huge (huge) roll, stuffed with whatever you wanted, I picked scrambled eggs and bacon. I ate 3/4s of it, which is a feat for me and a breakfast food, and then admitted defeat.
+ After that, I still had ages until I had to catch the bus back to the airport, so I hung out at a nearby coffee shop. Here, I did have a mocha and sat in the sunshine and read my book. Even in a foreign country, I am still me.
+ Caught the bus and ended up being earlier than usual, so I sat in the Wetherspoon's and read until they started serving alcohol and then I had lunch.
+ My plane was delayed a little bit, but it was okay because we made up the time in the air...until we got to Heathrow. They ended up circling three times, then heading back out and then down and I was just getting so impatient because I don't actually like flying and I had to catch the tube and then two buses and I just wanted to get home.
+ Got home by 6.15, made a quick microwaveable dinner, and am now writing this up, just for you, my audience. And Ian. :P

Here are the pictures of my adventures with Danes. I've yet to upload the Edinburgh ones, but don't worry, they're coming. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a skype date with my parents before I crash tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment