Saturday, February 18, 2012

And no rivers and no lakes, can put the fire out *

Today has been very good indeed. A successful shopping trip and I'm thinking of going to see The Artist tonight.

Things what I bought:

+ A pair of jeans (to replace the ones that have a rip in the knee) at Primark. Love it, cheap store, good stuff.
+ A cute black purse, also at Primark
+ A lamp (to replace the bedside lamp I broke; it's still functioning, but the nice thing to do is replace it) at Wilkinsons.
+ A mobile phone (finally!)
+ A red dress, a cheetah-print pencil skirt, and black ballet flats at TopShop

I am very happy with my haul right now, curled up in my new jeans with a cuppa.

So I'm thinking, for London Fashion Weekend next Saturday, this red dress, with black tights and my heeled oxfords. All I need now is a black jacket (preferably fake leather) or a black blazer to go over it. And maybe some new accessories. Which means another (small) shopping trip in the next week. Maybe I'll find something in Central on Monday. I'm also on the lookout for a big black stick umbrella; both Mr and Mrs H seemed very confused by this, since it's unwieldy and impractical. But it's a thing I want, so I will find one.

A brolly would've been particularly helpful today, as it started raining (as it's wont, here) while I was in M&S. I've been listening to a lot of Florence lately and I'm starting to see why a lot of British artists I like are so...weird and depressing. It's always gloomy here, between the clouds and the grey and the rain, and the old-style houses that always look empty and the bare branches against the greygrey sky...

It's gloomy and glorious. I can see why they (Florence, especially) derive so much art from the depressing beauty. It makes me feel a little off-kilter, but it's absolutely stunning. Then again, I just really like gloomy, cloudy days.

*Seven Devils by Florence and the Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment