Sunday, February 5, 2012

Now I understand why all the Brits complain about the weather.

It's like being back home or at school! Except you lot are warm and sunshiney, whereas we've got cold and snow here. As I put on Facebook last night: I miss you too, Geneseo, but take your bloody weather back. I came here to get away from that weather! And I didn't bring my warm coat.

Apart from the complaining, yesterday was a really, really good day. The Harry Potter walking tour of Central London! Which ended up being the Harry Potter public transport tour of Central London, because our tour guide (really nice lady, good geek, good speaker, loves her HP) took pity on us (and herself) and we took many a bus and then the tube.

We started at Waterloo Station, where I made a friend! I want you all to know that I walked up to a group of people I didn't know and just started talking. This is not something I do. My friend making skills have always been facilitated by other people or the situation. This was all my doing. And I apparently have good taste because Bella is just the sort of friend I was looking for. A good geek as well, with good taste in tv shows. We bonded throughout the 3-hour tour (in which we took a look at some of the inspirations for the writing and filming of, took a stroll towards Diagon Alley, and ended at Platform 9 3/4 in King's Cross station) and then found our way on the tube back to Waterloo and to a pub.

The Slug and Lettuce never sounded appetizing to me, but it is actually delicious. I had a burger and chips, with a Strongbow cider (easily the best cider I've had all trip. I now have a new drink to order) and then the most delicious thing I've ever tasted: hot chocolate with creme de menthe. Oh my gosh, only expletives can explain how yummy it was. And after that, apparently it was 2-4-1 cocktail night, so Bella ordered a Sex on the Beach to share and we ended up with our own. We ended up staying there for hours, just talking and watching it flurry. After which, we went back to Waterloo and bought, get this, Krispy Kreme doughnuts! Yes, there is a Krispy Kreme in Waterloo Station. And it is delicious. We each got two (the same kinds, haha) and I saved the second for breakfast this morning. Mmmm.

Our trains were both delayed, so I didn't get home until 11.30 or so. Except for the last 10 minutes or so (in which I was grumping to myself as I walked home through the snow in my Converse), I was a very happy bunny.

I slept in and today there is supposed to be this Photo Frenzy thing, but yesterday did nothing for my cough and I am not spending 6 hours wandering around London in the snow just to take pictures of sights I've already taken pictures of in nice weather. I will, however, go in on Monday. Maybe go to the British Museum and the Sherlock Holmes pub. Maybe see if Bella wants to do something. Either way, I'll be back to London. Just not outside for 6 hours straight in the snow.

Guess I'll venture downstairs (into the cold!) to make more tea and read King Lear now. And watch the Ian McKellen version. Drat, what wretched homework I have.

Photos of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment