Saturday, February 25, 2012

Fashion, put it all on me, don't you wanna see these clothes on me?

SO. London Fashion Weekend, Saturday, 25/2/2012.

On the whole: not exactly what I expected, but fun nonetheless.

Things of note:

+ We took a wander around the other end of the Strand and Aldwych and Fleet Street; ended up around the theatres (The Lyceum!!) and at the Twinings store.

+ I hate crowds. I'm fine with them on London streets, but not in small rooms where no one has any common courtesy because to the victor go the (overpriced) spoils.

+ I got my picture taken by some guy with a big-ass camera while Bri was getting her tickets. I'm just hoping it was because my outfit was adorable, not because he's going to put it online and ridicule it. (Cynical? Low self-esteem? Nope, I just know the internet.)

+ I knew almost none of the names, which I think is the reason the tickets for LFWeekend were so cheap. All the BIG names were a few days ago.

+ Unfortunately, of the cute stuff that wasn't particularly big brand name, none of it was my size or in my price range. There were two dresses I really liked and they happened to be the cheapest at about 120 pounds a pop.

+ But, as I put on facebook, let's face it, I was really only there for the runway show.

+ Prior to the catwalk, however, we had tea and cupcakes and listened to a two-person band play cute swing with banjos and ukeleles.

+ As we made our way to the showroom, about half an hour before the show, Bri wanted to buy sunglasses in the big room of stuff. I, having made the circuit already, was bored and decided to have a drink. Well, of the (very expensive!) drink list, the one that sounded best was a French Martini: vodka, Chambord, and pineapple juice. It came out magenta and frothy and was served by an amusing and talented bartender in a proper martini glass. While I waited for Bri, I got so many compliments/comments on the drink, which was hilarious. It was expensive, yes, but so delicious and totally worth spoiling myself, since I only bought food and drinks today.

+ However, we couldn't bring glass-glasses into the room and Bri took forever buying her shades, so after I'd gotten a plain plastic glass from the bartender, there were no seats left. We ended up making it in just before the lights went down and we had to stand in the back. Since it was such a small room, though, it didn't impede our sight.

+ The show showcased four different designers, none of whom I had heard of, and all of whom seemed to be more practical than I'm used to, when it comes to runway fashion. It was stuff real people would wear, things I could see on people wandering the streets of London. Still not much I'd wear, though.

+ I'd hoped for something...more. More energy, more clothes, more excitement. But, again, this was a small show with smaller names. Not Oscar de la Renta or Betsey Johnson (oh, to be at a Betsey Johnson show!!). But it was fun, I got to see the way the dresses flowed right in front of me, the way the models strutted, the finale of the three best looks from each collection walking the runway.

+ My favorite part of the show, actually, was when the coordinator of LFW came out and talked about the whole thing. When asked her best piece of fashion advice she said to have fun and wear what you love. "Fashion is fun, so enjoy it." Yes ma'am!

+ More Indian takeaway and another bottle of WKD Vodka Blue is a very good end to a very good day.

Pictures here! Title is Fashion by Lady Gaga.

No comments:

Post a Comment