Saturday, February 18, 2012

It's getting to the point where I can't remember what I did on what day

That's not good, I don't think. Things are blending together, blurring the lines between distinctions like what day it is. The Doctor Who Experience feels like so long ago. Guess my internal clock is just being all wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.

Anywho, if I remember correctly, I definitely did something new yesterday. Well, first, I walked to Genre Studies class, where we studied the costume drama as a quintessentially British genre and watched clips from the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice, Bleak House, and Downton Abbey. Excellent class. Then I walked back, made myself dinner (which mostly consisted of leftover chocolate, shhh), and went to a comedy show alone.

This is a big deal for me, I think, and if I'm not presuming too much, most other people, as well. We, as a general rule, don't like doing things alone. I'm perfectly fine wandering around a city alone or eating alone, but to this day, I've only gone to a movie solo once (and that was supposed to be a date, ahem) and I've never gone to a play by myself, I don't think. But I've found that, while I may be bored during the intermission without someone by my side, I'm more comfortable going places alone than I thought.

There were four acts, two breaks, and one crazy MC. She was a little wacky, but funny. Not as funny as the acts, though. Unfortunately, since it was such a small room, I spoke up once and promptly got picked on for being American. Which I suppose was to be expected. It was all really funny, though, I have to say. (I think my favorite American riff was the last guy mocking the Marine who was sitting near me and I felt a little awkward and must've looked it because he goes, "Yeah, even the American is going, 'just drop it already.'")

So that was fun. Today, I'm going to laze about this morning then go shopping, wheee! Not sure what I'm doing tonight. People don't seem to want to make plans (I think it's because I often turn down their plans because they're so last-minute that I've already made my own by the time they tell me. It's not my fault if I want to do something, I just do it.) and Bella is off in Edinburgh this weekend. So maybe I'll go see a movie or find a jazz bar or something.

Not going to lie, this makes me a little worried about how I'm going to be when I move somewhere. I don't remember how to make friends. It's always happened organically or been facilitated by someone. (My best friend at school was in my group in a class we had first semester of school; my two housemates came as a packaged deal through my freshman roommate; Danes, well, killed me in Humans vs Zombies; etc.) I don't know how to go out and be like, "You seem like a nice person. Let's hang out for the day." I can go up and talk to people and hope for the best, but everyone else seems to hang out so easily.

That said, I really do love it here. I just keep itching to get back into London. Mondays can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment