Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I think I failed the One New Thing Per Day challenge yesterday

Though I did do one extraordinary thing: I went without internet for 24 hours.

Of course, that wasn't exactly my fault. The wifi at the house was cut off because they got an upgrade today. So I spent the afternoon reading my book and writing (actually writing!); I think the only new thing I did yesterday was watch an excellent kid's show called Horrible Histories, which was hysterical.

Unfortunately, I didn't check my email and so I didn't realize my Arabic class actually started yesterday, so I missed the first class of that. Don't worry, I emailed one of the tutors very politely, so hopefully I won't be docked too many points.

Today, however, I made it on time (early, even) to what I thought was my first class. Shakespeare: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow...and tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. Ahaha, I slap my knees at my hilarity. Anyway, I enjoyed it immensely and we're reading three plays I've not actually read--King Lear, The Winter's Tale, and Richard III--and looking at the cultural context in which they were written and how the ideas contained within change with the time. So, my kind of class, essentially.

After class, which I have with four other study abroad kids, I went to lunch with the study abroad kids and they invited me to go clubbing. I can't go tonight (Skype dates with Danes are important) but...I don't really want to go, period. I will probably go with Bri (we're making plans to wander around London together anyhow) because I feel most comfortable with her, but I feel like a little old lady. I don't like going out and being a woo girl; I love wandering around with music in my ears and the city flying by. When did I become such a loner?

Anyway, I went to Sainsbury's for the first time after that. I may miss Weggie's trips with my girls, but I love Sainsbury's. And I did what I've always wanted to do: bought myself flowers. Silly, I know, but I've always loved the idea of buying myself a bunch of flowers for a day, a week, whatever length of time they last. So right now, I have tulips in a vase on my desk and the rest in another vase on the side table and it makes me so very, very happy.

Today's my grandfather's funeral. Hugs and love and prayers for my family, especially my dad. I'll be checking in with them next.

No comments:

Post a Comment