Thursday, February 16, 2012

Youtube needs a repeat button, the way I listen to music

I did a whole bunch of walking and exploring today, because it was finally nice! It was high 40s, slightly windy, and there was even sun for a couple minutes! Weatherwise, it was a glorious day.

I walked to my 9.00 class (it's a nice walk and takes about as long as the bus ride does), absorbed some knowledge (and was used in an example of the word epitome: "Victoria is the epitome of American dynamism." Which I'm not sure was a compliment because he was being snarky about his other examples. Oh well. I like him. He's entertaining.), then wandered around desperately looking for lunch. All the cafes I wanted to go to were full, so I ended up stopping into Tasty Bite or something like that, and having curry and a mango lassi. Not a proper Indian place, but definitely a gathering place for people of Indian and Middle Eastern descent, which was really interesting.

After that, since it was so nice, I went for a walk down by the river. What a lovely day. I plan on doing much lazing on the riverside when it gets really nice. But I still had three and a half hours to kill before I had to be back for my Arabic class, so I decided to walk to the Surbiton library. Of the three libraries, it's probably my favorite; the Kingston library is too small, the Uni library doesn't have anywhere I want to plop myself, and the Surbiton library is also small, but very cute and has a good selection of books. I stayed there for half an hour or so, read a little more of my book, then wandered back to my house by a different route.

Two hours at home, then I walked back for Arabic. My class is strange; it alternates between being so boring and actually being really interesting. See, it's information and vocab I've already done before, but she actually teaches us the rules behind the grammar. Akil had us memorize words and phrases (often before we had any context for what they meant; my personal favorite was how in the first semester, he'd give us vocab that consisted mainly of letters we hadn't learned yet) but didn't tell us the process of making them. So today was how to make adjectives; I didn't know there was a hard and fast rule for creating adjectives, but there is, apparently.

After that, I wandered up the stairs to watch Alien with the Sci-Fi part of the Gaming, Anime and Sci-Fi Society here on campus. There were only five of us, but they all seem nice and apparently there are plans for a) a Firefly marathon and b) a Star Wars original trilogy marathon. Nice, solid nerds. My favorite.

I have no plans for the weekend as of yet, but I'm deciding right now: if I end up on my own again, I am not staying in my room all weekend. I need to go shopping on Saturday (I should really get my own mobile and I need a good outfit for London Fashion Weekend next week), but after that, maybe I'll head into Central. Actually, maybe I'll go shopping in Central! Anyway, my point is, since it's getting nicer, I need to actually do things. That is why I'm here, after all.

1 comment: